Its a tradition for Filipino people to have a Parol or Christmas Lantern every Christmas. You rarely see Filipino house that has no Christmas Lantern. Parol is an ornament usually star shaped decoration that represents the star that was seen by the three kings before Jesus Christ was born. It symbolizes as the victory of light over darkness and its a superstition of having a good Christmas when you have it somewhere around your house. Parol are usually made up of bamboo and paper called Japanese paper. People make different sizes of parol. I have seen Parol with regular paper and I also have seen parol with Christmas Lights around it to lighten it up like a star. It was originated in 1928 and was made by Francisco Estanislao. Back in the day, Parol are just shaped as a simple star with Japanese paper covering the bamboo shaped star. In the new era Parol, the materials range from plastic, shells, glass, beads, foil, feathers, hemp, leaves, seeds, soft drinks straws, wood and even metal. As I have mentioned above, they have incorporated Christmas lights inside or outside the Parol. The design perspective has grown so much since the original product. Some designers included the parol to be part of what the Philippine people called dancing Christmas Lights. Also sometimes, there are competition of who has the largest or the most beautiful parol in the country. In my opinion, I love the Parol idea just to pay up respect to the Filipino tradition. I also like the idea how it makes a certain house beautiful when it has Parol as a decoration.
No comments:
Post a Comment